Raymond Angelo is the Exoticoption.

Saturday, April 08, 2006

The Fight and The Flourish

Power to us. It's been 10 weeks since our first-debate, and we're still going. Bukit View? I say come and bite me.

Yesterday rocked. It was Ms Tan's birthday, so the class gathered outside the staff room to sing for her happy birthday. I don't know what exactly happened but apparently, someone went into the staff room, and told Ms Tan that one of her student "fainted". OMFG. Most retarded excuse ever...especially since Ms Tan saw us as she went in the staff room...and it certainly didn't look like any of us were in mortal peril...

Anyway, happy birthday to Ms Tan! Once again, thanks for the "L" adidas" shirt...I'm sure I'll grow into it...when my 2nd puberty (I promise you, it's coming) strikes and I get another growth spurt.

Then the day proceeded as normal. I spent my Malay lesson practicing "Kiss me Goodbye" by Wang Lee Hom. The irony, man, it's so...ironic. Anyway, I didn't see Mdm Yani, like I was supposed to. The moment school ended...I got to concentrating on a matter of utmost importance...DEBATE.

We met up at the CG room, and I just meditated for a while, you know...I think I dozed off too...but that's beside the point. We watched a few minutes of Dave Chapelle and just chilled. Jon came and gave us a pep talk, and yup, that's it for preparations. We've prepared, we've stimulated possible-motions, and god did that pay off in the end.

Went to Bukit View...It's so far the worst-looking debate school we've had...but still better than Queenstown. We saw St Pats...they looked OK, I recognised their 3rd speaker from an SYF-drama-course we went for, so I knew he was good. Though I remembered him, he didn't remember me. Maybe it's a defence mechanism...people erase the memory of good-looking people from their brains so that they'll think they're the most handsome person in the world...or maybe it's just because I'm 25kg lighter...anyway, it's all good.

Anyway, we got ushered to the Debating room, and the motion was revealed. And lo-and-behold...the motion was...THIS HOUSE BELIEVE THAT VOTING IN NATIONAL ELECTIONS SHOULD BE COMPULSARY! And we were PROP! You should have seen our faces, the smiles on it...should be made freaking national-treasures man. We've done it before, in one of our simulations! And here's the best part, we prepared as opp, so we knew basically everything they could throw at us.

The one hour preparation went by smoothly. No at-each-others-throats, no shouting, no conflicts. Just pure business. We came up with a solid case. SOLID. I'm so proud. We finished everything in time, so we weren't scrambling when the hour was over and scribbling notes. Made us look all-the more confident, that did. Then again, so did they, so at that point, both teams were equal.

The venue...there wasn't much people at the venue. St Patrick's didn't send throngs of supporters. And as for us, we stuck to our policy of AFAP, as few as possible. First speaker of the proposition, Raymond Angelo, steps up, and delivers a speech, in a relaxed, controlled manner, something I havne't been able to do in the past few debates, because at the past debates, my speeches were god-help-us long. So, there it was, the smooth delivery. I finished in 4;20, but I don't think the invigilators marked me down for that, since it was an impromptu debate. Then their 1st speaker came, and he was quite the opposite of me. Instead of taking it slow, he rushed man, rushed! And only brought in one point. Finished in less than 4 minutes, that guy did. Ringo's turn, and he was good, as usual. Then the secondary 1. Awesome stuff, coming from a secondary 1. Fluent, and consistent. Power. Then Jeremy. He was abit off-form today but everyone has their off-days. The 3rd speaker for St Pats appeared eloquent, but his content was abit crap. The reply speeches went smoothly for both sides. I'm happy with mine...painted a damn good picture of them...not listening properly, giving crap points, not sticking to our boundaries...etc.

And we won! They did the banging-the-table-and-shouting-"OHYEAH!"-think while I tried to remain civilised and calmed them down...bottling up the happiness 'til I'm in the toilet or something. Power lah. We'll be seeing you in SRJC (Serangoon). If you need an invite, just give me a ring. Ringo'll be telling the whole school about it on Monday; more power to us.

We watched Fuhua against Bukit View. Fuhua kind of went off tangent in their debate, their arguments were all a bit fucked and they didn't really set up their case well. What's art? What's censorship? Bukit View appears to be a good team, however, St Pats edges over them. They're 3rd speaker was GOD. No shit, he's big, intimidating, talked in a low, deep, convincing voice, and poked fun at the Fuhua team. I bow down to thee...

Had just desserts at Swensen at Junction 8...well not just desserts lah obviously. But...oh never mind. Anyway, everything tasted good. Victory is eating apple crumble.

PS: This is THE DEBATE POST. I'll be updating later again on the Crescent Girls Funfair.. Gotta go off for a while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Locations of visitors to this page Free Web Counter
Free Web Counter