Raymond Angelo is the Exoticoption.

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Describe an occasion where you felt unfairly treated

Since I typed it out, I might as well:

Raymond Angelo

4a

Describe an occasion where you felt unfairly treated

My alarm clock did not go off as I had set it the night before. The cursed thing was supposed to go off at 6, yet it was already an hour and a half past that, and still, not a sound resonated from the clock. Sometimes I wonder why I still use these wind-me-up clocks when digital ones are available and all the more reliable. With my breakfast, crammed and half-chewed, in my mouth, I rushed for school.

Unexpectedly, I was late.

After a telling-off from the school’s operation’s manager, I set off for class. I checked my wrist watch: 8 in the morning, on the dot. The class had already gone off for Physical Education, so, after getting the keys from the class’ monitor, I lugged my bag to an empty classroom to change. The door was locked. I was relieved I had taken the trouble to get the key from the monitor. With thanks to the key, I entered the classroom. It was empty and dark. Shirts, pants and skirts were strewn on tables. Inside them were probably wallets and cell phones; we were all under the impression that in a school filled with kids, adult-like acts like stealing will not occur.

Quickly and gladly, I dropped my bag, changed into my sports attire and joined the rest of the class in the beautiful game of football.

The bell rang, a signal for us to troop back to class. It was Mr. Lim’s period, the one I detest the most. Half of the class agrees with my opinion, the other half thinks that he is god-given. Mr. Lim was biased; in a blatant and detrimental way. There is a good half of the class which he puts in just that much more effort into teaching while the rest gets ignored. Obviously, I belong to the group he is oblivious to. Another possibility is that I am being paranoid, but let us leave this subject here.

“Everyone, take out your books and turn to page 123. Today we’re going to start on Astral Physics,” Mr. Lim ranted, as the class half-sluggishly, and half-enthusiastically, took out their books from their bags. Before I could even wonder why we were studying this subject at our age, a scream erupted from the front of the class. It was Susan, the favourite among the group favoured by Mr. Lim.

“Where is my wallet?!?!” She cried in despair. In frenzy she dug through all the pockets of her bag. She removed all her books, practically burying her face inside her bag to get a good look of its interior, and later, burying the same face into her hands as she hid her tears. Seeing Susan in such a state, Mr. Lim was quick to throw the lesson out of the window and conduct an investigation. Whether he will do the same if it happened to me, I do not know.

Mr. Lim asked whether the monitor had locked the door. The answer was an affirmative. Our monitor was both reliable and trust-worthy. Mr. Lim raised the question of whether anyone had left the class to go back to the classroom. This time, he got a negative answer. I felt the hair on my back standing. Mr. Lim asked the class who was not with the class during the Physical Education lesson. Susan stood up, and pointed at me. Her gaze was like an arrow through my heart. In her eyes, I was the guilty party. I looked around, my classmates were equally bewildered, though it seemed they were convinced it was me. After all, nobody else could have done it.

It did not take a Sherlock Holmes to deduce the situation. Under the guise of needing to go to class and change, I had entered the class while everybody was outside and sneakily stole an inconspicuous wallet. It was a public secret that I was not from a well-off family, so, I was the prime suspect.

I was speechless in that situation. I tried to explain to the best of my abilities. Mr. Lim’s questioning was unyielding, but so were my replies. I stood firm with what I knew; that whatever it was I was being accused of doing, it was not me. I made a bold statement that the only way the could prove my guilt was by finding the wallet physically on me, since who knows, she might have left it at home, but no, she did not leave it at home (Mr. Lim had allowed her to sneak a phone call with her cell phone to her parents to confirm this fact).

To sum it up, in everyone’s eyes, I was the only one who was guilty, just because there was nothing to prove otherwise. “Innocent until proven guilty” is usually the case, but it was twisted into “Guilty until proven innocent”.

I maintained my stand. A stand which stood for non-compliance and rebelliousness said Mr. Lim, and I was made to kneel outside the classroom. Until I had returned the wallet, I was to kneel outside, in full view of passers-by.

The half-hour I spent on my knees were terrible; the humiliation, unbearable. It was unfair to punish me when there lies no evidence that I was guilty. It was only because Susan, the favourite student had pointed an accusing finger at me, which is why I was handed the short-end of the stick. Students walked up and down the corridor, some pointing, openly staring or talking in hushed voices. The embarrassment I had to endure was more than I could bear.

At last, Mr. Lim called me in. There had been a mistake. Susan did leave her wallet at home, not in school as her parents had said earlier. Without apologies, I was let inside the class. Susan gave no apologies on her part as well. After all I have gone through for her! I was punished for nothing! My friends (all from the half Mr. Lim did not like) did console me, but still, the embarrassment was painful. Mr. Lim and Susan should be the ones being punished! From my bag, I withdrew “super-glue’. Nothing says “revenge” like an arse stuck to the chair.


I can't believe this was 1000+ words long!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Locations of visitors to this page Free Web Counter
Free Web Counter