Raymond Angelo is the Exoticoption.

Monday, October 30, 2006

Where's my Best-O Place?

I'm looking for my best~o place.

As a secondary 4 on the verge of sitting for his O-levels, studying has become of utmost importance. Manga's taken a backseat, I bid farewell to my books, I released the teevee, and I don't go out (with friends) as much anymore. Even physical fitness (gulp) went out of the window. For most of the time, I'm with my books. As I've said, I can't remember the last time I went out without a bag full of them.

I'll be so thankful come November 16th.

One of the difficult things when it comes to studying is finding the best~o place to study. After you've gotten out from that comfy chair and have gotten the necessary motivation to actually START studying, it's a real bummer once you realise that you've got no place to study. Face it, for some most of us, studying at home is a no-no. There's that new episode of Prison Break beconing you, there's that idiot nudging you; basically, home is the nest of all distractions.

The only solution to this? Leave the house, dummy!

Yup, so for most of the time, I don't study at home. I prefer to bring my studying materials outside, and I'll study there. Of course, it's expensive, but face it, you'll be more efficient. You'll only bring a few choice materials. So, instead of debating on which subject to study, or switching in between subjects, and getting nothing done in the end, you get to pump in a whole lot of important junk into your head.

Singapore's got a bunch of studying places. It's a mugger's haven basically. So let's give a brief reviews of the study places I've been to the past few months. Of course, if you're normal, you would have found you're best~o place, but if you're still in doubt, I'm here to help. Of course, it won't help much, and you'll still screw up your Os, but what the heck :)

School (5/5 Mugs)
Basically, this is by far the best place in my opinion to study. You're in plain sight of other people, so you won't slack. The teachers are nearby, so that's always a bonus. More recently, the commerce room has been opened up, with FREE milo AND coffee AND aircon. Yay. I'm not sure whether they're still opening the commerce room during the holidays, but it's one of my top choices. If it was nearer to my house, this would be the place I'll be going to, but otherwise...

Poolside (5/5 Mugs)
I saw some of my neighbours doing this, so I'm like what-the-hey. There are some tables by the pool of my condominium, and it's pretty cool studying there. The view's nice *ahem*, and it's 2 minutes from my house, so I'm never too far away from the fridge.

Singapore Post (3.5/5 Mugs)
I studied here during the Mid-years and Prelims, but I hardly touched it in the past weeks. It was a riot during the Hari Raya and Deepavali festivities. The fields outside Singapore Post were being used for the Pasar Malams, and as such, it was crowded. Otherwise, it's quite secluded, so I like it.

Tiong Bahru (3.5/5 Mugs)
Rule of thumb: Don't even try to study at McDonalds. It's always croweded. And the KFC is OK...except there's this KFC employee who hates my guts. Once, I was studying, he pushed the tables right across mine, and save some stuff to me which I couldn't comprehend. I didn't reply, but god, I pissed my pants. Figuratively. Best bet is the Burger King. They don't mind if you never buy anything (Of course, I'm not like that. I love her-cheese-pie) , and it's not that crowded. There's always other people studying, so you'll never feel left out.

Great World (5/5 Mugs, all broken)
Don't touch this place. Way too noisy for you're own good. I was just here this morning when a group of Secondary 3s from another school came and made a din. Of course, I don't blame them for making noise, but this just shows that Great World isn't a place for studying.

Bukit Merah Library (4/5 Mugs)
Great if you're studying alone, but if you're studying with a friend, it can be quite a bother. You can't talk, and if you do, it has to be in really really hushed voices because you'll get shushed. There's also limited space to study. When it's full....there's always the...

Bukit Merah McDonalds (4.5/5 Mugs)
I love this place. I've gone from my house all the way here just to study. It's full of other people studying, but most of them aren't studying. I get a boost of confidence, because I'm studying harder than them. It's not arrogance lah, but, I'm studying more than them, and that much is evident, and I derive strength from that. Go me.

Esplanade Library (3.5/5 Mugs)
It's very quiet down here. There's always space; sofas are always an added bonus. They've got an awesome range of magazines to keep you entertained. The roof tops always a nice place to drop by :). However, the silence is very total; noise ain't tolerated here. It got 3.5 because it was filled with foreign workers during the hari raya holidays. They even had picnics on the roof top! I'm side-tracking abit here, but I can't believe they allow foreign workers (gah, the irony) to have picnics on fields. We're not even allowed to play football on those fields! *side-track ends*

National Library (5/5 Mugs, just because it's filled with it)
Full. Don't bother.

That McDonalds near some poly (3/5 Mugs)
I went here with Darren, Nigel, and Glen and Jo-pu. Twice, though the first time around, I had to rush off :(. Anyways, this place is where the students of the so-called better schools study. It's OK, but they have parties sometimes, so "boo-hoo". The distance stinks too. The journey back stinks more. For reasons other than the obvious.

Pop Store (5/5 Mugs)
Bras Basah is awesome. The McDonalds is open 24 hours, and most of the people there are studying as well. It's near the Popular, so if you need books or anything, it's a stone's throw away. If you want somewhere more isolated, try the Cafe at the second floor of the Popular. They've got waffles ice cream with double scoop for less than $5. Yay.

Marina Square or Suntec(5/5 Mugs)
Awesome. People overlook these areas, but they're very conducive. To add on to that, Marina Square is totally happening. Suntec is too. There's two Subways within the vicinity, and Esplanade's within walking distance. Transport's convenient too; because the MRT's within walking distance, and there's load of buses. Perfect.

Wow. I don't know what compelled me to do that. I think it's because I still haven't gotten the pictures of the Grad Day, and as such, havent' done the Queenstown update. I'll do it. Promise. Good luck to all retaking the Mother Tongue Os tomorrow.

PS: This was supposed to be up yesterday, but Blogger had some errors, so pardon the lateness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Locations of visitors to this page Free Web Counter
Free Web Counter